Monday, October 18, 2010

New quilt

Started this quilt this morning and got a little better than halfway.  It's hard to see the stitching in most of it but here are a couple of the blocks you can see.  Actually it is a memory quilt but I didn't think I should show the pictures since they're not mine to show.   But, I thought I would talk about what to do about pictures in a quilt.  The one thing you don't want to do is quilt over the pictures unless you are  extremely talented and even then you risk distorting faces.  My best advice is to choose batting that will support NOT stitching over the pictures.  Most of the fabrics I have seen that have been run through the ink jet printers have a kind of stiff thickness to them and when you stitch them you leave holes in the fabric, the thread has a tendency to shred causing starting and stopping, (thus ugly spots).  The batting in this quilt is Warm and White which you can stitch up to 10 inches apart.  There is a quilters Dream that you can stitch up to 12 inches apart.

I found a happy thing on my photo fixing program today by accident.  there is a chart thing called a histogram that I didn't know did anything when I accidentally dragged my mouse over it and it changed to washed out looking pictures my camera produces to looking rich in color.  Yippee!!  Hopefully my future photos will start having a little more color.  I'm really exceptionally bad with this adjusting the camera thing.  It's a cheap camera with lots of mega pixels but too many choices that I don't know what to do with and the default setting don't take a great pic so I'm up the creek. 

Happy quilting

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say. Leave me a comment here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...