Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gina's Beach Quilt

I thought today I would show a quilt I did early on in my quilting career.  I made this quilt in 2001, after my second trip to Kittyhawk  Beach with my brother and sister.  Which was also about 5 years after I got sick with Myasthenia Gravis  (that I mentioned yesterday). 
The first 6 1/2 years of MG I was on Oxygen 24/7 which made traveling a bit tenuous at best.  My first jaunt to N.C. took place in a car driven by a dear, dear friend over 3 days to get me and ALL my paraphernalia for survival there.

This second trip, I had improved enough that I traveled by myself via airplane.  (But still with Oxygen.)

I noticed on this trip that Gina needed a new beach quilt sew
I designed this quilt when I got home.
By this time I had only made a couple of place mats, a small quilt and 3 bed quilts.  Not much experience to be designing a medallion quilt.
But I managed to learn about coping strips and making getting things to fit around the previous rows.
Then I had to baste it.
I wasn't that experienced at basting yet and ended up having to baste it by myself.
A daunting task for a healthy person, but for me at that time, I could just barely breathe.

Sew I wallered around on the carpet in front of the office in my apartment complex.
(The only place I could think of the do this.)
And in a little over 2 hours time I managed to get it basted together.

It was NOT pretty.
I did not yet know about tacking down the backing while basting sew you don't get puckers in the back.
I did know about a busy back though, and that was very helpful later when I hand appliqued several large pleats down on the back.  You can hardly see them.
By the time I got to the forth side of this monster I believe I was oxygen deprived because I couldn't get it smoothed out, sew I got a needle and thread and took darts in the side.  (Left side between 2nd 3rd and 4th wave blocks.)
I was still very timid about my quilting stitches sew I quilted it with invisible thread.

Then I had the nerve to enter this quilt in a juried quilt show!
I got in, but did not get a prize.  Hmmmmm?

Well, Gina has her beach quilt, and she takes it to the beach, but she puts it on her bed.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

happy quilting


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say. Leave me a comment here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...